On this page are publications, tools and resources designed to support states in the development and implementation of a high-quality evaluation system for educational leadership preparation.
- Improving State Evaluation of Principal Preparation Programs
- Guide to the State Evaluation of Principal Preparation Program (SEP3) Toolkit
- Tool A: State Readiness Diagnostic Rubric
- Tool B: Program Indicators, Rubric and Report
- Tool C: Handbook for the In-Depth Review Process <
- Tool D: Handbook for the Targeted Review Process
- Resource A: Overview of How Preparation Programs are Currently Reviewed by States
- Resource B: Description of Other In-Depth Program Review Processes
- Resource C: List of Other Tools and Resources
The Wallace Foundation has released an overview brief that reviews states’ role in evaluating educational leadership preparation programs and provides two case studies of states that have undertaken a redesign of their principal preparation evaluation systems. Visit this page to read this brief.
This guidance document lays out a set of design principles to which all effective program evaluation systems should adhere, introduces a model program evaluation process, and explains how to use the tools and resources in the toolkit.
This tool provides a rubric states can use to assess their readiness to design and implement a program evaluation system that reflects the recommendations in the guide.
This tool provides states with specifications for an annual report that would give programs, candidates, and districts basic data on inputs, processes, outputs and program graduate outcomes.
This tool describes a detailed process for undertaking comprehensive reviews of individual programs.
This tool describes a detailed process for undertaking targeted reviews of individual programs.
This resource provides information about current principal preparation program evaluation practices in states.
This resource provides states with a description of the four types of reviews that most higher education leadership preparation programs already undergo so that states can design their system with these existing review processes in mind.
This resource provides states with links and citations to tools, research, and resources that could inform their work in this area.